All University of Washington websites should follow the guidelines available at uw.edu/brand.
The brand website has specific instructions regarding colors, fonts, and logos, and links to many resources, including a photo database and web page components.
Following the recommendations below will create a look and feel similar to sites based in the College’s Department Web Framework. This will visually signal your department’s connection to the university and create a better experience for students, faculty, and other web visitors.
Arts & Sciences Header:
- Include a large boundless W with Department Signature Logo, using department name in primary field and university wordmark in secondary field; if you do not have these graphics, request from Arts & Sciences marketing
- Include a band across top with UW utility links (UW Home, College of Arts & Sciences, Directories, Maps, My UW)
- Include search box in header, and login link (if applicable)
- Position primary navigation horizontally below the header area
Example header designs (click image to enlarge):
Use the following categories as top-level terms in your navigation, and organize all content into these areas. These categories have been tested in usability studies with many academic units:
- People (faculty, staff, grad students, alumni, advisory boards, leadership)
- Programs & Courses (program descriptions and degrees offered, requirements, course info, admissions)
- Study Abroad or Labs or Facilities (may substitute a major strength of your department here, if it does not easily fall under another nav item)
- Research (publications, projects, dissertations, student work, key fields of study)
- News & Events (present/upcoming, archive, newsletter, calendar)
- Resources (advising, scholarships, internships, career advice, organizations, facilities, intranet links)
- About (mission, history, stay connected, support us, contact us, other background)
Stay Connected / Support links:
- Include icons/links that invite visitors to connect with your department (mailing lists, social media, etc.) and donate to your department on every page
- Follow guidelines for departmental giving pages